Thursday, April 2, 2009

UNDERSOUND MUSIC'S, E MAJOR INTERVIEW!!!


The album Okayplayer called “one of the better bread and butter rap records… in a minute,” Majority Rules is the first official release from Under Sound Music’s CEO and franchise artist E Major. Although he’s released a mixtape, The Major General Mixtape, been on his labels compilation, Breaking Ground Vol. 1, and is known throughout his hometown of Baltimore, E Major is ready to bring his unique point of view to the masses. Majority Rules is his vehicle to do that.

Produced by some of Baltimore’s finest producers and featuring some of the areas best talent including J Soul as well as Philidelphia native and Rawkus Records artist Hezekiah, Majority Rules has a textured sound that is akin to his inspirations such as Mos Def, The Roots, Tribe Called Quest and early Slum Village. Using this backdrop E Major charasmatically puts his story into play.

Drawing interest by many through his music video for “Nuthin’ Nice” featuring Hezekiah, E Major has developed a following across the internet. Though his sound is inspired by a base of classic Hip Hop, E Major is bringing something new and different to a stale Hip Hop landscape. - Undersound.net -

E Major, Under Sound representative and CEO. Holding it down for B'more.



1.) - You are one of the fiew Baltimore artists, that has been able to transcend his city limits so to speak...You have a positive movement with Under Sound, a lens-crafter like Hilton Carter to make professional music video's for you, and you collaborate with artists, shop owner's, promoter's, dj's, etc. Where do you have time for all this, what's the ultimate focus! Breathe, go...

It's not easy. I try to stay focused on the main goal while still spreading the word through collaborations, performances and interesting events. I have so many interests and things I'd like to do within the industry and each thing that I take part in is a piece to the puzzle. But I definitely value time and try to make each thing I do bigger then the previous thing and I try to only do things that will further my progression and Under Sound as a whole. And I only collaborate with artists and other professionals that take it as seriously as I do, so each endeavor is worth wild.

2.) - How have you seen the Baltimore music scene morph since first stepping onto the scene? It's finally starting to get some love(Due in part to The Wire, Ace of Cakes) in tv, music(Baltimore club/dance is smashing it), and other aspects of popular-counter-culture...

It's been really interesting how Baltimore has grown since I started really going hard with my music. When I came in, there was a strong Hip Hop scene but it wasn't buzzing nationally at all. We always had a vision to take what we do and even some local artists that we respect to the next level and national exposure. I love what some of the television shows have done for us but at the same time I think The Wire has gotten the outside world to only check for us when it comes to street music and that's not exactly what we do. There's a lot here to uncover and I want to be part of that. Club music is a great way to cross barriers and we plan on using it to do just that.



3.) - How do you stand-out from the all the other talent, musically, creatively, artists etc. in a day, where everyone is an artist, and art(Especially music) is such a commodity?

We present everything we do on a professional level. I mean, there are other dudes who can rap and there are other artists who can perform well, but myself and Under Sound as a whole create professional work. We're artists from art backgrounds and we don't half step on anything. Now when you're talking about my approach to music, I don't think there are many people that can formulate a song like I can. I know how to write a song, create a hook that people will get down to, create a bridge or a break, have a crescendo and leave in the end feeling like you went on a 4 minute ride with me. I don't just rap, I make songs.

4.) - Do you see yourself getting onto more B'more club tracks?

Well I think it'll be part of what we do. We're from Baltimore, and it's part of who we are, so it's in us. So far with what I've done as far as collaborating with DJ Impulse (Under Sound's official DJ and part of the Skratch Mekaniks Crew) we've taken bits and pieces of club and added it to our style. What Scottie B and the originators of club music did was lay down the basis for us. A lot of the newer stuff is real choppy and hasn't been used that well with vocals yet, in my opinion. What Impulse and I are doing is bringing a melodic element to it, still using those classic club breaks. We want to explore the limits of where the sound can go while still keeping it grimy. It's really interesting.

5.) - Another thing a lot of MC's are doing these days, is jumping on grabbing a band for live shows, thinking that it will a new credibility to the music...You have already done the band thing, and I think still do shows, occasionally, is this true? Locally vs Nationally?

I love performing with a live band. You'll notice whenever Hip Hop artists go on the late night talk shows and when they perform at award shows they always use live musicians. I think it's because it just adds a whole other level of interest to the performance. I'd love to take a live band with me every time I play. It's great. But there are logistics involved with getting everyone to a venue and having the right equiptment for the gig and all that. It can be tough sometimes, especially when you're traveling out of state and you have to think about hotel costs and such. And you have to think about splitting up whatever the promoter is paying you with 4 or 5 other people too. So, depending on what a promoter is offering, the type of event it is, etc... I make my decision whether to rock with a band or not.



6.) - This area has always been a mecca for musicians, fanboys, groupies, bands, and indigenous music(Go-Go, BMore Club, HarDCore)Do you think that the dawn of the Baltimore/DC/VA area era in music, is upon us?

I think so. I think even the use of the term "DMV" is powerful. Having people rep the whole area has added validity to the movement here. Being 45 minutes north of DC, Baltimore is a bit seperated from that but I have a good connection with a lot of folks from DC and VA so I stay plugged into the whole movement for sure. We're actually putting out an album for a producer named Eddie from VA Beach at the end of April. I believe in the DMV movement and I think this is the year that everyone will start to recognize it, not just nationally, but globally.

7.) - Who, in the Mid-Atlantic are you feeling, right now?

I love what Wale is doing with Hip Hop and what Blaqstarr is doing with his style of Baltimore Club. Those two dudes are really doing it big right now.

8.) - Who is one, local artists that you would like to collaborate with now, that you haven't worked with before? Why?

That's really difficult because there are a lot of artists doing their thing and starting to blow up a little that I like. But on the same token most of them make different kinds of music then me so some of them might not mesh with what I do. It would be hard for me to just pick one. That's my diplomatic answer.



9.) - The flipside, who is one local artist you have worked with, you would love to again? Why?

Right now I really just want to continue to collab with family. I especially want to keep building this thing that Impulse and I have started. Our first song called "Paper Runnin'" has already gotten a great following and is starting to buzz hard. We have a video coming out for it very soon and I think that'll really push it further.

10.) - Shouts, props, things that are on deck, etc...


Shout out to the whole DMV. Everyone that's pushing to make us a contender in this game.

On deck right now we have Eddie's "Sound Wandering" album, more track from myself and Impulse aka The Demonstrators, a video for "Paper Runnin'" and a long awaited video for my second single from Majority Rules called "Make It." And by midspring the Major Major Mixtape should hit the net. B'more area folks can come see me open for Camp Lo at Sonar on April 17th. Yeah, I STAY busy. You can get all the latest news and exclusives from www.undersoundmusic.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment