Monday, April 6, 2009

Interview With C-Chan of Slow Suicide Stimulus & Dusted Dons!


Everything you heard is true....SLOW SUICIDE STIMULUS IS DAT CREW. LIVE FAST DIE SLOW idealogy laces the grass they force feed the sheep. The dysfunctional brain child of Tame One & Dusted Dons, SSS is something different for the different. Their debut album, released on FloSpot Records, features Weathermen affiliates Aesop Rock, Cage, Camu Tao and Yak Ballz. Cold Crush Brother Grandmaster Caz, which was nominated for the 2006 Independent Music Awards' Rap Song of the Year. Vast Aire (Cannibal Ox) and songstress R.A.W. (Bernie Worrel/ G. Clinton) lent lyrical madness to the album as well. Def Jux honcho El-P lends production to the cause, as does DJ Might Mi (EC RECS/ High n Mighty). SSS have performed with everyone from El-P & Kool Herc to Daryl Palumbo (Head Automatica/ Glass Jaw) and F. Sean Martin (Hatebreed/ House of Blow/ XO Skeletons). Whether a sold out college appearance or a small hip hop dive in Brooklyn, Slow Suicide Stimulus' "aggressively funky", "genre crossing" music is well received by everyone with ears. With a sponsorship from MethodsNyc Clothing and a new deal for FloSpot through Time Warner sub-label RYKO, SSS has gotten a lot of new exposure in all their latest press campaigns and countless national promotional mixtapes to keep the buzz growing for their sophomore release in the Fall of 2007. For the last year and a half, Slow Suicide Stimulus has been touring both the U.S. and Canada, non-stop, with Definitive Jux's Cage, Mr. Lif, Camu Tao and many other acts. In the summer of 2006, SSS co-headlined their own tour (TEEN WOLF) with Vast Aire and Yak Ballz. This fresh new sound and a refusal to fail are keeping the Slow Suicide Stimulus moving forward, breaking down barriers like a Sherman tank.



1.) - How has the new years been treating you? I know you have a new album in the works(tentatively entitled, "Sharks and Dinosaurs"), and lent your hand to Yak Ballz Scifentology II, creatively, what's been popping?!

2009 has been really productive so far. Feel like its been non stop recording and making all kinds of weirdo music. Im gettin the art together for SHARKS AND DINOSAURS & still running STFU Studio, FloSpot Records and rhymin, producing, performing and walking my dog.

2.) - Any word on a new SSS proejct? I'm sure a few people have asked you since released the self-titled LP in '06..
The word on SSS2 is 7 songs deep and not settling for mediocre beats. In order for the chemistry between us all to pop, the music has to be undeniable. None of uSSS are the type to get on a track we dont feel. So yeah, we build n conceptualize but we arent rushing to create any music we arent all together hype on. and by build i mean roll things up n light em on fire and by conceptualize i mean high talk. those cats are my blood for real. so everything we do is SSS. deep huh? so the answer is: 60%-80% done with SSS2, depending on who you ask and what day of the week.



3.) - Any plan to jump on tour w/ Cage, or Yak again? Did you contribute anything to the new Cage album?
Cage and I both do our own thing, musically, and he always impresses me with some ill shit. I know he had a strong vision for his lp and I wouldnt have wanted to try n taint that and that's how I kinda felt with S&D. I tend to introvert the fuck up and get lost a lil when creating and I just wanted to dive into my lp and cut off the outside world. As for touring...why not? Id tour with anyone, be it good friend, foe or Jacques Clouseau. Those Weathervan tours were always a fuckin adventure and filled with some legendary moments.

4.) - Having roots in hip hop, rock, harDCore, metal, etc. who are you listening to now, who/what's impressing you?
Im not easily impressed til I see someone live. Im a supporter of the "if u aint an MC if u cant rock da party" philosophy. haha. The radio's Hip Hop these days is ehhhhh... MYKAH 9's 1969 lp was pretty dope, Camp lo's new music is cool. MF DOOM's lp was tight as fuck, New Glassjaw had me light things on fire. I checked out Chin Chin's record yesterday and was real impressed with that. I dont want to tell you anymore. I had a chance to record with Activator's lead singer n lead guitarist, so I did my homework on Activator and I think their music is donkey ballz bezerker. Anything out of Cardboard City Im listenin to.

5.) - Do you find it having an effect on the music you want to, and eventually make?
I cant even get half the ideas, rhythms n melodies outta my head from youth, I HAVE NO ROOM FOR INFLUENCE YET. But, as a symptom of having a sponge between my ears, Im sure it bleeds into music we make.



6.) - I know you play drums, don't you also play guitar and a little keys? Do you find yourself producing as much as emceeing? Video editing?
Video editing was a skill I picked up outta necessity and having no $$ FOR A VIDEO. Making little movies, skits, music videos, performance pieces is a hobby I have mad fun with my friends doing, but it's just a hobby. I enjoy creating, period. I co-edited the CupCake Girl's DVD (out now on FloSpot. myspace/acupcakeorange) so I got nice on Final Cut and After Effects and I try to keep the skills sharp. I think every program I ux with I got nice at outta necessity. No one wanted to put out for studio time, so we put down the Tascam 4 track n copped ProTools. Slowly building something from nothing. I live, literally, in the studio so my time is split between doing my music and eating off recording/ producing/ guest spots. I ghostwrite and produce for alot of the music that comes outta my studio, so all colors have blended into one job: MAKE THE BEST SOUND FROM THE LEAST AMOUNT OF CAPITAL. I still play drums and will until the Parkinson's fucks up my rhythm. My piano/ guitar skills are percussive in nature, so Im kinda limited in expediting my ideas. I never learned the scales or how to read music, so it takes me a little longer to figure out a melody or to express something Im humming. I think u can hear the drums as the backbone of my cadence in rhyme too. Everything I do has a beat to it, from brushing my teeth to typing right now. Im answering your questions to the Apache break. I twitch when someone's in my studio n cant ride the beat or their delivery sucks. Yeah, I know offbeat too. But bad timing is still bad timing. "try it like this" is chan speak for "you're fucking killing me".

7.) - Have you done any features, or cameo's lately?
I cameo'd in NJ Traffic court last week and skated with no fine for driving with no license for the 3rd time. I also contributed to Chapter 7's Mix Cd "THE COLOR SCHEME", Benn Grim's "NUTMEG EP" and Yak's "Scifentology II". I've done some verses and some beats for Team D and some other local artists that are If its not a genuine thing, it's hard to do it, even for good money. I didnt seek out any collabos for my record and the ones that r there, just happened as a matter of consequence of creative people inspiring each other. Im a part of such a dope creative process with SSS, that my need for collaborations is taken care of. I just worked with Shannon & Jared of Activator because we had an idea for a song and they came through and made an idea into some other shit ...what was the question? oh yeah....cameo's...a couple. Im consistently recording with n for Tame One. That cat inspires the hell outta me to stay on top of my writing game.

8.) - I heard you on Sirius a few times throughout the year on a couple of radio shows, how did that come about?
Mickey Knox and his show the Mix Chronicles reached out to get us on the air, so we just did it. I can't turn down an opportunity to go into that place. Its insane. Where else can u bump into Cousin Brucie and recklessly eye-ball rockstars, besides the rub-n-tug parlor ? We also made a couple visits to DJ Eclipse's HALFTIME SHOW.

9.) - If you had one, major goal you would like to accomplish by year's end, what would it be, and why?
I wanna pen the song that saves the world and profit immensely off of it. Other than that-To really find a solid machine to back the sound. I learned the hard way that integrity has little to do with popular music. It takes $$ to get exposure, play and PR. Without funding, u wont hear anything better than whats on the air now. So I guess the goal is to give u something better (or worse, choice is yours) to listen to. I wanna stay making music and writing the way I been burnin paper n drive space now for the rest of the year and many more. I got another solo lp half done and a punk/rap project called LIMITED DEAD with Tommy Phenoms which is dope. So for the year, I wanna get all the music out there, hit the road and see the people that support, take a nap, wake up, smoke a cigarette, eat breakfast and start over.

10.) - Shouts...R.I.P. JERU NRG & CAMU TAO!
TWITTER/CHANSSS, Slow Suicide Stimulus, Boom Skwad, Cardboard City, Dusted Delux, Weathermen, Team D, Tommy P, DJ Pre, Nom Mineral, Mondee, Blockhead, Mazzi, Bisc1, Chapter 7, Joey Raia, Todd Westphal Photography, DJ Eclipse, DeepThroat Bliss, Ballin PR, Spectre Music, DJX, Activator, Chin Chin, Dr Fecal Matter, Mr Dibbs, STFU Soldiers, Shabooty, FUEL TV, Leon ,Hugh Jeffe, Metro, E.Q., Cubic Zirconia, Limited Dead,DJ WIZ, BTC Magazine, Asia and every1 that supports our music.

UT NOW on FloSpot Records
YAK BALLZ' SCIFENTOLOGY II.

Slow Suicide Stimulus debut lp OUT NOW EVERYWHERE.featuring: Aesop Rock, Grandmaster Caz, Camu Tao, Vast Aire, Cage Kennylz, Yak Ballz and more. Production by Dusted Dons, Camu Tao, EL-P, DJ Mighty Mi, Mondee and Face Valyou.
www.FLOSPOT.com

1 comment:

  1. I wanna pen the song that saves the world and profit immensely off of it. LOL.

    ReplyDelete