Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Interview With The Food Chain Collective's, Ardamus!!!



- Describe who Ardamus is, in Twitter Terms(140 Character's or less)...

Alcohol enthuiast. Unofficially trained gynecologist. And oh yeah, I rap/produce/make beats.

- You have been a very, visual member of this music scene since I have known you, and have always been that artist that is at every spot he can be at, supporting his people in the scene(which is well, everyone), buying merch, recording music, promoting shows, writing/producing for yourself and other's, holding a steady job down, etc. Are you human?

I actually am. I realized it when I knocked flat out in the studio in the middle of recording one of my verses....not sure if that means I'm sleeping on myself (literally) but.....I'll damned if I don't rest at some point.



- You released When Nothing Goes Right at the end of the last year, how was the response to the record? What is the concept behind this, and the follow-up to this? Is this an album, an EP, or a mixtape? Did you handle the production on the record, or did you reach out to local/national/international talent?

I've gotten some good response on the record. Mainly good critiques and a few bad ones. All in all, its helping me re-shape my focus for the newer projects coming out. The concept is based on ode to bad luck and personal issues I've had to deal with. I loosely based those ideas on situations I'd been thru and decided to put more of a twist on the actual outcome of the project.There is a follow-up mixtape entitled When Everything Goes Wrong 2.0 which is intended to sound very unprofessional like a real mixtape. LOL. Not all clean and perfect. After that, me and Metaphysical have a project entitled A Day In The Life Of Modern Day Living. Its a concept record......I joked with Metaphysical the other day that it was the album white people would love, haha. After that, I'm planning for another album and an EP. The EP will come first which will include exclusive production from me and will feature some DMV heavyhitters. The album.....well, lets just say I'm expanding my base as far as who I've worked with.



- I know besides being down with the Food Chain Collective, you roll with a cat named Double-Plus, forming Ardaplus...I have seen a handful of shows, any plans of a full-length, mixtape, EP, something?!

Yes, me and Plus are finally almost ready to drop our EP entitled A Fistfull Of Plutonium. Another project could be on the way soon. We just need to get our schedules straight and we're all good. There is actually a mixtape coming out at some point. I wasn't there for the mix of it but Metaphysical and PLUS sat down to put together to tracklisting of it. Actually, we just recently got back up to write some more songs we'll hopefully record soon. As for shows, we currently are about to open for Blueprint from Rhymesayers/Weightless on 6.3.09 at EXPO alongside our peers Educated Consumers and K-Beta with DJ Underdog on the 1's ad 2's. Should be fun because currently, Blueprint is one of my fav. emcees.



- Since you are part of so many different facets of the music scene around here, and have been here for awhile, how much have you seen things change around here? One could write a book on what's happened in the past few years, alone!

Way too many changes. Venues that would have the dopest events closing down over money, legal issues, no support.......you name it. But I think now in the DMV, cats are stepping up more seeing the need for the hip hop scene to thrive. New talent has come in and we still got the OGs around. With that said, we're building with one another and trying to get the scene more recognized on all levels.





- Do you think things are finally starting to get cohesive around here, and the rest of the US is starting to pay more attention?

Way more cohesive than what it has been in the past. The scene here has always been slept on for so long that I think its about time. People are getting a taste of it from certain acts these days like Wale, Tabi, Panacea, Diamond District, and etc. But if they only knew how much more there is to the scene than what they've heard, it would blow their minds.

- Who from the DMV, would you work with, that you haven't been able to?

There's a few cats. I definitely want to work with The Low Budget Crew (Kev Brown, Oddisee, Roddy Rod, etc.). There's the homie, G5 Clive whom I've talked with doing some stuff with. Kokayi, who in my opinion is one of the best artist in DC period, is someone who I have alot of respect for and would definitely want to build with. Dirty Water, whom I've known for years, are two cats I'd want to work with. The homies.....Pro'Verb and Lyriciss......them dudes put in work. Some of the Food Chain homies I haven't worked with just yet like Jade Fox, Teddy Faley, Cubbiebear, and etc.

- Have you collaborated with any bands, world-musicians, electronic musicians, etc.? DC's got tons of em!

I have done a few sets with a jazz band by the name of Motel; which is headed by Matt Grayson. Also, I've recently got to get on stage with The Black & Tan Fantasy Band with Seez Mics and Mental Stamina of Rosetta Stoned when they opened for Themselves (Anticon). I've also had the pleasure to perform with The Five One Band; I'd almost want to say is my fav. band to watch perform these days.

- If you had to pick one thing, that you think is holding back this city from becoming a major, major, force in the entertainment industry, what would it be and what would you do to fix it?

A major outlet for helping artists in the city; I don't mean a label either. It has to be something more than signing cats to a deal. Like an organization that has a solid foundation in the DMV. Not only could that help these acts out......it could spark more businesses to help out with these entertainment ventures out.

- Shouts...

Ok let me shoutout, the following: Food Chain Collective, SPP Waxworks, DMG, 3 Stars 2 Barz, The Low Budget Crew, Strange Music, Enoch The 7th Prophet, DJ Earth 1ne, DJ Soyo, Jay Mills, Dirty Water, Observa, D-League, Emperess, Young Raven, The Package, M1 Platoon, G5 Clive, and anyone else I may have forgot.

No comments:

Post a Comment